Monday, March 23, 2009

FO: Aran Cardigan

I've owed this one its own post for a while now. I just haven't been able to get decent pictures. Which is odd, considering I've barely taken it off for a week. But here it is now, The Aran Cardigan!

Although I still want to put on-seam pockets in this one, I've bowed to the reality of my own lack of motivation and accepted that I need an interim solution if I want to wear this any time in the near future. So I crocheted the pocket openings closed from the inside for the time being. The seam is virtually invisible from the outside, and if I ever become sufficiently motivated to work out the zippered pockets, it's just one quick tug to reopen the seam.

The Details:

Pattern: #20 Cable/Rib Cardigan (Rav link) by Gayle Bunn (mostly) from the Holiday 2004 Vogue Knitting. Mine is several inches longer in body and sleeves and has a zipper instead of toggles. I also redesigned the sleeves to pick up and knit in the round with a short row shoulder, and made mine a bit narrower. I omitted the four pockets on the front and will probably eventually add on-seam zippered pockets instead.

Size: I followed the directions for the 38", but ended up with more of a 34-36".

Yarn: Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool in Natural Brown. 2.75 (huge) skeins.

Needles: Knit Picks Options circs, sizes 5 and 6.

Thoughts: This was one of the most labor-intensive sweaters I've ever done. And I love the results. This is the sort of sweater you wear daily for years and years. The wool is a bit scratchy and very sturdy, and although the pictures would have you believe it is grey, it is actually a warm, dark brown. The 3x3 ribbing did get tedious, especially on the endless sleeves, which, ironically, turned out to be two inches too long after blocking, and I had to pick out the bind off rows and shorten them. They're still long, but in a good way.

12 comments:

Karen said...

Beautiful! I know it's easy for me to say, but I think it was well worth the labor to end up with that beautiful sweater!

Kim said...

It was well worth the effort. Freaking gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Jealous. Of the sweater and the palms.

crochetgurl said...

Another beautiful FO! I adore cabled sweaters. :-)

Strickmuse said...

Both this cardigan and Mossy are beautiful. They fit perfectly and look great. Love them both.

Haley said...

i love it. you made all the changes i plan to make if i ever get around to making this sweater. the original pattern was just too loose in the sleeves and the pockets just took away from the great pattern. LOVE how yours turned out.

sophanne said...

wahoooey! I cast on Romi's Muir tonight. That old black magic....

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! You are one talented knitter!

marit said...

Gorgeous!!!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Suzanne, that is gorgeous! Your seams are completely invisible. Beautiful.

Rachel said...

I'm in awe of all the fabulous sweaters showing up this week--they are all fantastic and you do an amazing job! But I've been waiting to see this one finished and it was worth the wait. Gorgeous!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love this one most especially:)