Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Rome Wasn't Built in a Day...

...but just try explaining that to a frustrated seven-year-old.

This is how the conversations in our house have been going lately:

Boy: Mom, can you knit a few rows?
Mom: No, it's your project.
Boy: But it's NEVER gonna get done!
Mom: The point of knitting is to enjoy the knitting, not to get done.
Boy: But I can't enjoy the knitting if it doesn't get done!
Mom: Well, it takes time to finish a sweater. It took me months to do my first sweater.
Boy: I'm so slow! You are much better than me. If you do it, it will go faster.
Mom: I'm faster because I have lots more practice. I've been knitting for 20 years! Just think how fast you'll be in 20 years.
Boy: But you're that fast now--why don't you do it?
Mom: Because it's your project, not mine.
Boy: Just a few rows. PLEEEEEASE?
Mom: I'll help you with your mistakes, but I'm not going to knit it for you. If you don't want to knit, put it down for now.

Boy is silent for a few moments. Then:
Boy: Mom? I don't want to knit a sweater.
Mom: No? What do you want to knit?

Boy contemplates the two-inch wide knitted strip for a moment.
Boy: A belt?

1 comment:

knittinmom said...

Oh, great, you just took me three years into the future...I keep hoping Sydney will leave me alone once she learns how to knit for herself!

I'm here to answer the chicken question you left on my blog - most places will "sex" the chicks for you to around 90% accuracy. It's not guaranteed unless you get older chickens, but 90% is good enough odds for me. You want to avoid "straight run" chicks, which are not sexed and give you a 50/50 chance of hen vs rooster.

I got my chicks from www.mypetchicken.com, which gives a 90% hen accuracy rate (you have to pay a bit more for hens vs straight run, but it's worth it for those of us who can't have roosters!) and allows you to order just a few chicks at a time. HTH!