Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Shock and Awe

First, I want to thank everyone for the great suggestions. I've looked at all the patterns and I love many of them. But with the CPH all but done and winter on the wane (and rapidly around here--it's been in the mid-70s all week), I've made a radical decision. I will not cast on a new project for my Tahoe trip. I know, it's shocking. Instead, I will finish this:

Yes, it's good old Death By Cables, otherwise known as the Dickinson Pullover by Kathy Zimmerman. This juggernaut has been on the needles since October (and is my only UFO), and I believe I have finished at least four other sweaters and one afghan in the meantime. It's not that I don't love it--I do--but just look at the thing! There's a lot going on there, and I rarely have the sort of uninterrupted knitting time I need for this degree of complexity. (I'd appreciate it if you could not point out that this may not be the ideal project for working in the car with two large dogs and two small children bouncing around and demanding snacks and stops and attention. I have high hopes and I do not want them dashed. Besides, if I take no other projects with me, I will be forced to work on this--or find a yarn shop.)

I've finished the back and most of the front, and then there are the sleeves left to do, and the collar, and the finishing. There should be enough to keep me busy for the week we're gone, especially considering the frogging factor. For every twenty rows I work, I invariably have to rip back five to correct some error in one of the three charts used for each row. And if I do finish early, what better reward than a little side trip to a local yarn shop?

As for the CPH, it is all sewn together and I am knitting on the hood. Then it just needs button bands and buttons, and it will be done. And speaking of buttons:

I made these this morning. I really enjoy making buttons like this. It only took a few minutes and maybe a dollar's worth of polymer clay. Since I like a rustic, handmade look, I don't have to be too precise or drive myself crazy trying to get them perfect. It's simple, inexpensive, and fun. If you need buttons for a project, I highly recommend trying it for yourself.

I can't for the life of me get a decent picture of the buttons against the sweater. My camera keeps trying to compensate for the reflective quality of the buttons against the matte fabric. You'll have to take my word it that the buttons do look very nice with the gorgeous Malabrigo. I made them to blend in, because I don't want anything to call attention away from the beautiful colors in the yarn.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wise choice!! I love that pattern. It will be fabulous.

I am kinda scared of fimo. one I am not talented in that particular creative art and two it freaks me out baking plastic.

Lydee said...

You truely are gifted. It's amazing to me what you make! Everything looks beautiful!

...Sarah said...

She knits and makes buttons too!

Karen said...

Wow, you made the buttons too. I'll have to look up how one goes about making buttons, because I have no clue.

Senja said...

Those buttons look great! Have fun on your vacation. I like your plan to bring a project that has been stalled. Makes sense to me!

Patty said...

Love the buttons and love that malabrigo yarn glimpse with the buttons. It really is a yummy colour!

Good like with the cables etc on the trip!

Kim said...

You are the queen of buttons! They are perfect for your CPH. Death by Cables is gorgeous but I can see why it's named that. 3 different charts per row?! My head would explode. I know you will conquer it.

Olga said...

I just hope we don't read in the paper of the lady that went postal in a car because of a cable sweater...and other factors.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed. You knit (beautifully) AND make buttons to match.

Anonymous said...

OK, you may have convinced me to try buttons ...

Quail Hill Knits said...

The cables are awesome! But then, I have passion for them anyway. I like Kathy Zimmerman's designs. In fact, one the squares I knit for the Afghan was designed by her. They have added a lot of new exhibits tot he Monterey Bay Aquarium. It is a great weekend trip for kids.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Hope you have a great trip, I LOVE that Kathy Zimmerman pattern, you are so intrepid!

Romi said...

Wow! I love the buttons. :)

Dr. Steph said...

What a smart idea! The hoodie looks gorgeous.