I will confess, I don't love this project.
I started this twinset (The Retro Ribby Twinset, from Knitting Lingerie Style, by Joan McGowan Michael) last spring and really enjoyed knitting the camisole.
I didn't like my choice of yarn, though. It is superwash wool, which just doesn't make for a great summery top. I think my love affair with variegated yarns also started to wane with this project. I love variegated yarns. I cannot resist them. But I rarely like the way the look knitted up. This fabric actually reminds me of a tv test pattern. I don't buy variegated yarns anymore, although I do like a nice almost-solid yarn.
So I didn't cast on for the shrug part of the twinset right away. In fact, I didn't cast on for it until this spring.
I got the entire thing knitted in short order, but when I began sewing it up, things did not go well. I tried repeatedly to make it work out, and finally, in utter exasperation, called it quits for good. But I didn't rip. I don't much like the yarn anyway, so I stuffed the whole thing in the back of the stash closet, never to see the light of day again.
At least until the previously-mentioned post-Dickinson cleanup. I came across it and thought, "Well, it's almost done. It just needs a little sewing up. Maybe a good blocking with fix the odd fit." And so I pulled it out, sewed it up one more time, and blocked the living daylights out of it.
I still don't like it. It is just a poor design. The fronts are made in a way that they simply don't fit properly. Every version I've seen on Ravelry shares the same problem.
Even though I'll probably never wear this set, I don't consider it a failure. I learned quite a bit from knitting it, including short-row bust shaping, the fact that I don't like variegated yarns as much as I thought, and that, sometimes, even professional design are a flop.