Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Going Green


Just in time for Earth Day, I finished the back of Sligo. I know it looks long. It is long. It is 28 inches long, in fact. The pattern diagram, which is not entirely correct, by the way, calls for a finished length of 26.5 inches. I added the extra inch and a half because I am unusually tall. I generally add two inches, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it, for fear of ending up with a lovely-but-unwearable lace dress.


And it is lovely. The color is hard to photograph accurately. It's a bit more gold than it looks here. Now that I have worked out the kinks (in myself, not the pattern), it is rolling along quite nicely. I can work it almost as quickly as stockinette--except for the cable rows, which still require intense attention and minor acrobatics to pull off.

And lest ye think that Sligo isn't "green" enough for Earth Day...

I also planted a tree.

10 comments:

Viktoria said...

It's so pretty! I really, really love that green color

marit said...

I like both your green projects:-) The Sligo looks really great!

Karen said...

Sligo looks great! That color is going to look great on you. You finished up the back very quickly.

Steph B said...

That sweater is going to be yummy. Great job! And the tree is cool - what type is it? Can't tell from the picture.

melissaknits said...

something weird happens lately with your blog (but only yours). When I try to open it on it's own, not in bloglines, to comment? The comments are all over the image, and the text is all disappeared. It's very weird.

Lovely Sligo. I wonder what it's like to be "unusually tall"...I am unusually short myself.

Bea said...

It is SO gorgeous! I can't wait to see it finished, that lace pattern is amazing! I've been starting projects without gauge swatching, so it looks like I'm distracting the KG from you :)

Yarnhog said...

Steph--

The tree is a bottlebrush (callistemon violacea). They're from Australia and don't deal well with cold, so you probably don't see them where you are. There are lots of varieties--some are large shrubs and others are trees--but they almost always have bright red bottlebrush-shaped flowers. This one is a deep rose pink that goes perfectly with the purple, pink, and yellow flowers on my front bank.

MRS MJW said...

wow. that is green. i love the pattern. very nice.

Kim said...

That's my kinda green. Love it! Nice pink pom pom tree too.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

That Sligo is truly impressive, you are a knitting wonder. And I love those Bottlebrush trees, my brother has a ton in his yard in L.A. Très California!