Friday, June 29, 2007

FO: Lingerie Twinset Tank


Pattern: Retro Ribby Twinset Tank from Knitting Lingerie Style by Joan McGowan-Michael

Size: 34 1/2" finished chest

Yarn: About 4 balls Laines Du Nord Giunco (100% superwash merino) in color 512 (on sale at WEBS for $2.99 a ball)

Modifications: I made the body 1" longer (2" would have been better). The pattern called for making the center band that gathers the bust together twelve stitches long. I ended up making mine 36 stitches long just to reach around the center part of the bust. Also, the straps ended up being about 2" too long for me, so I sewed them in place inside the back and cut off the excess (we'll see if it's true that wool won't unravel when cut).

Other thoughts: If you decide to knit this, bear in mind that the bodice is very stretchy. I would recommend knitting it with about 3 inches of negative ease. Mine has about 1" of negative ease, and it is pretty loose. I'm a little afraid to bend over while wearing it. I am considering knitting this again in a solid color. I like the variegation, but I think a solid color would show off the gathering at the bust better and be more versatile. (Note how the slight pooling at the waist makes a sort of faux belt. I generally don't mind pooling, because I think it is fun to watch the weird shapes that emerge--it's like looking for pictures in the clouds.)

16 comments:

5elementknitr said...

So pretty! It must be great to make actual FO's. What a concept!

Rachel said...

Lovely! From the picture, it looks like it fits great. The little strip of variegation that looks like a belt cracks me up :) Perfect placement!

sophanne said...

I totally thought it was a picture of what you were GOING to do from a pattern! That looks great!

Also ditto 5elementknitr.

I like the pooling and would also like to see a solid color- some sort of green perhaps- olive but not too drab.

Bea said...

It looks great on you! I love the pooling on the waist, it's a great detail :) I'd really like to see this tank in the mods you mentioned.

sophanne said...

Also- re: uber's post.

You may begin to get back at your children by the end of 1st grade. As a teacher, that's when I start. (just kidding... sort of.

Things like- them: My finger hurts. Me: Do I look like a doctor? Them: My tooth is loose. Me: What do you want me to do about it.- work at an early age- especially for the whiny sorts. I leave the nice kids alone mostly.

Also- speaking of household grossness and kids... a 3rd grader was yakking in a garbage can in my class one day and not having any kids of my own, I asked the class what I should do. They said "HOLD HER HAIR BACK!" I did but when she finished (she was fine) she said "You were a little late."

Romi said...

It looks fabulous on you! Very nice. :)

knottykitty said...

Very cute! Looks nice on you---great job!

uberstrickenfrau said...

Yeah, I thought that was the pattern pic too! Now I must hate you because you look like a model....There is no way I could wear that, nursing four kids = NEED BRA. 24/7

Quail Hill Knits said...

Damn! I wish I was still built like you. The fit is great and the colors are wonderful.

Gail said...

I love it...You should wear it the next time the knitting group meets.

Knitman said...

This really fits very well. Looks professional.
BTW I have been meaning to tell you how much I like your Yarnhog handle.

kmkat said...

Very, very pretty. But superwash wool WILL ravel, not felt.

The_Add_Knitter said...

WOW, va va va VOOM!! Looks so great, nice work!

Lydee said...

That is so pretty. Like I've said, I live vicariously though you knitters.

Sarah said...

Brilliant. It looks great on too.

Haley said...

it does totally look like a belt at the waist. that's great!