Thursday, November 11, 2010

Whirlwind

Just stopping by to say I may not be stopping by as often for a while. I started a new job on Monday, and may I just say...wow. How do people go to an office all day, every day, and still have time to do anything else? It's been 15 years since I worked full time away from home, and if you do the math, you can see that was before I was married, before I had kids, before I had a house and a community and responsibilities. The past three days I've been taking part in an intensive training program, which has been super exciting and interesting, but also exhausting. I don't want to go into too much detail, so suffice it to say that it is a very fast-paced, formal, professional environment. Virtually everything I am doing is brand new to me. I just got my first assignment, which is awesome, high-profile (think national news), and deadly serious. I'm kind of stunned, actually. I am tremendously excited, because it's a great assignment and a huge opportunity, but I'm also scared sh*tless. And I start...tomorrow morning.

Mr. Yarnhog has been terrific. He is totally supportive and excited for me, and he has really stepped up, shuttling kids and cooking and taking on household chores, but he still has to work full time, even though he works from home. It's a huge adjustment for both of us and it's going to take a while to work it all out. So I need to go do twelve loads of laundry, shovel the house, resuscitate my garden (which hasn't been watered in a week), locate the bathrooms under the accumulated filth, do the grocery shopping, bake bread, walk the dogs, make sure the kids are still alive, and take them to the dentist. Oh, and we're having a birthday dinner for Oldest Son tonight, so I suppose I should figure out what I'm going to make and do something about a cake. Holy smokes. How do you all do this?!

10 comments:

kate said...

I don't, I work from home and only part-time. But I have the exact same thoughts about my friends who work full time.

You'll figure it out, and it sounds like the new job will be incredibly exciting, so best of luck!

Anonymous said...

sounds great!

wish you all the luck:)

do have fun, and don't forget to enjoy the ride:)

PICAdrienne said...

You will find life is much easier when you no longer recall having your sanity. So says the full time working single parent of three for the last 13 years.

Anonymous said...

You lower your expectations & get the kids to pitch in. Oh, and hire some help too.

Gina said...

We let the kids walk the dog while we head on over to the laundromat with the triple loaders. We collapse from exhaustion on the weekends while pretending to watch the kids' soccer and Little League games. And we are so thankful to for paychecks, lunch hours, and adult conversation.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I don't know how I'd manage it if I had kids (other than putting them to work cleaning) but my trick is not letting the mess bother me too much - it's not the end of the world if I skip the dishes one night or leave a little laundry until later

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Pills! And cocktails, preferably together:) Congrats on the new job, sounds very engaging and exciting. Good luck during the transition and remember to be kind to yourself!

Fibra Artysta said...

Abandon sanity. Its the only way.

5elementknitr said...

I do it with a lot of whinging and not enough sleep which creates even more whinging.

Good luck!

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Congratulations! Delegate some chores, let some slide. Enjoy the ride!

I work part time, and have a host of other small jobs. I can't keep up now!