Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Life Wins Again

In the eternal battle for control, that is. I keep laboring under the mistaken impression that I have some sort of influence over what happens to me. Things would be easier if I could just accept the randomness of chance and stop trying to get anything to work out in accordance with my plans. What is that saying? "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."

Much has been happening here, little of it what I wanted/planned for/expected. The "volunteer" job I've been working full time since November (and which I had come to love) has come to an end. It is not being replaced by a paid job, for reasons over which I have no control. I am of two minds about this. I am very disappointed, because I loved the job and I was good at it, and I am sort of relieved, because with all the other stuff that's been happening, I'm not sure how it would have worked out had I not unexpectedly found myself back at home. I've spent much of the past couple of weeks scraping the accumulated filth of the past eight months off the various surfaces in my house, becoming reacquainted with my kitchen, and trying to locate the 700 pairs of missing white socks that must be around here somewhere.

Kozmo, the dog from the last post, is staying permanently (quell shock). Unfortunately, he seems to have some sort of lingering respiratory infection that we just cannot get rid of. After four courses of two different antibiotics, we're pretty sure it's not bacterial. After a chest x-ray, it doesn't seem to be anything serious, like pneumonia or lung cancer. And yet the amount of doggy snot is truly amazing. We're working on the assumption it is viral, but he's had it for at least a month, it doesn't seem to be improving, and the other dogs haven't gotten it. Weird.

Sophie (our Newfoundland) is facing a far worse health problem. She has cancer. There is a large tumor in her mouth which is growing by the day. After consulting three vets, we have determined the only treatment is to remove half her lower jaw, which might or might not cure her. After long consideration, we have opted not to do this and are planning to keep her as comfortable as possible for as long as possible and then let her go. We are only expecting to have a couple of weeks with her. After losing Sam suddenly in May, we are at least happy to have some warning this time.

The kids are more or less back to school, to my great relief. Between doctor visits, shopping, instrument repairs, arranging for transportation, and registration for school and all the various and sundry ancillary activities, I have been moving at a quick trot for the past couple of weeks, my ATM card is smoking, and I've run out of checks. I'd love to know how they can call it a "free" public education.

And our 15th wedding anniversary is fast approaching. We have plans for celebrating it that are supposed to take us out of town--alone--for a few days. Alas, the plans were made BEFORE we knew that the kids' schedules would create something of a perfect storm on the exact days we are planning to be gone. We are currently in negotiations to determine whether we can still manage to get away.

So there you have it. My life in a nutshell. There has been knitting, too, but since my camera cable has gone missing and every member of my family insists they have never used it, touched it, or even seen it, you will have to take my word for that.

7 comments:

At Home Mommy Knits said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your job didn't work out. I can only imagine how stressful it would be raising a family and working full time (I only do the part time work gig). Sorry seems lame when faced with a terminal issue but I am sorry about your dog....enjoy your time together. Happy Anniversary!!

Unknown said...

What's that other saying? Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.
So,so sad to hear about Sophie. I'd of made the same choice. Hopefully, soon one day we will sit together and spin dog hair and tell stories.

Susan said...

I am sorry about the turmoil in your life, that the job you liked and were good at is not going to work out and that one of your dogs is terminally ill. But, if your "new" life at home will mean more time to knit and blog, that will be a plus. And Happy Anniversary! I hope you get to celebrate with something special.

sophanne said...

It's just good to hear from you and know we need to think good thoughts for you. I've missed you.

Anonymous said...

I had a cat with the same excess snot problem. He would sneeze and fling it everywhere -- on me, on the baseboards, on the windows, everywhere. After a number of years, one of his teeth fell out and the snot disappeared never to return. We guessed that he had an abscess of some sort under the tooth which cleared up spontaneously once the tooth was gone. Have your vet check the dog's teeth and gums very carefully. Can't hurt.

So sorry to hear about Sophie, but as you said, at least you have some warning. I concur in your decision to make her comfortable and let her go when it is time. Tough to do but probably the most merciful thing to do. Give her some ear scritches from me.

Anonymous said...

Sad news about the dog. Enjoy your time at home - regroup & recharge. I hope the anniversary plans work out too.

The Incredible M. said...

Do critters tend to get valley fever out in your neck of the woods? I think it is a fungal infection that gets picked up from playing in the dirt. I know they have it in AZ, but I don't know if its in your soil. Might be worth screening for if you haven't already.