Saturday, April 11, 2009

Knit, Rip, Repeat

You'll notice there is no picture of my progress on Swallowtail today. That is because, despite several hours of knitting, it looks exactly the same as yesterday. I knew I shouldn't have taunted the Knitting Goddess.

I happily knitted quite a few rows with apparent resounding success. I was even marveling over how quickly it was going. I was thinking, maybe I've finally kicked my lace knitting curse. And then I noticed I had one stitch too many at the end of a row.

Now, a sensible knitter would look at that, see that the error wasn't obvious, knit two together, and move on. At least, that's what I now think. At the time, I thought a sensible knitter would spend three and a half hours trying to track down the error, discover an extra yarn over, carefully tink back, realize the yarn over was actually two rows down, ladder down to the extra yarn over, remove it, work back up, discover that the stitches were far too loose, carefully tug the extra yarn from stitch to stitch, distributing the extra over the entire row, finally smooth out the work to see how it looked...and realize she had removed the wrong damned yarn over. Guess which sort of knitter I am?

Of course, when I moved on to the actual wrong yarn over, and attempted to repeat the procedure, a hole opened up in the space/time continuum and the universe collapsed in on itself, taking my knitting with it.

By the time I extricated it, half the shawl had been ripped back and my husband was giving me his wary lion-tamer look and suggesting I "just put it down...just for a little while. You can have it back tomorrow."

And now it's tomorrow, and I'm back to where I started yesterday. Somewhere in there, I must have crossed over the International Date Line.

8 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Man, I hate it when that happens. So sorry. Sending more positive knit-vibes your way!

punkin said...

I am glad you have come back to this side of the International Date Line. That hole in the space/time continuum is not a place you want to stay long. Knitters come out of it looking very wild-eyed.

sophanne said...

I used to be a sensible knitter but I think when it comes to anything lace, there's no such thing. You had to tink it- it would have become merely a confusing serious of holes constantly taunting you with their inconsistency if you had done anything else.

Khalila said...

No worries, it'll be smooth sailing from here...

Karen said...

I always have some kind of issue when I knit lace too. It's the pits to knit and knit and end up right back where you started. I hope the KG is done messing with you.

Kim said...

Oh no! What a horror!

crochetgurl said...

Thanks for the lovely comments!

I can't wait to see your shawl. Lately, I've been thinking about shawls considering I've never made one and knowing my mom would like one. However, she's not into lace and it seems like most shawls are all about beautiful, airy patterns. Have you seen any solid shawl patterns?

P.S. She also didn't like Clapotis when I showed it to her in person at a LYS.

Hope your all tries eventually work out!

Unknown said...

Oh dear. I thought lace would be hard. i tried a very simple pattern the other day and I was hopeless at it. i might try again a si liek for socks which I shall have to do for a female friend.