Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Persistence

I've been hoping to finish the sewing up of Sparkly so that I could show you the finished product, but it's slower going than usual. The yarn is quite slippery, which is making it hard for me to sew it up evenly. And I'm not all that thrilled with the design of the sleeve cap. It's very squared off on the top edge and doesn't fit neatly into the curved armhole. I've already sewed the first sleeve in three times, trying to get a nice, rounded seam. My last effort still isn't perfect, but I'm wondering if I can ever get it any better. I suppose I could re-work the sleeve cap to make it more rounded, but honestly, my attention is waning. There are so many other projects I want to get to work on that I wonder whether it's worth the trouble. What do you think?


And then, there's this.

Those who have been reading this blog for a while may have picked up on the fact that my younger son is...persistent. And ever since he finished painting his very first skein of hand-dyed, he's been on me to make him a blanket. Out of one 100 gram ball of worsted wool. Well, okay. You don't get to be Mom without learning a few tricks. Notice the openwork pattern. And the fact that I'm knitting it on larger-than-normal needles for worsted weight yarn. And what you can't see in the picture is the large ball of burgundy-colored wool that's waiting in the wings, destined to become a border. A wide border. By the time it's done, it should be a fairly respectable small blanket.

And now for something different. I try to limit my posts to mostly knitting, because I figure that's what you're here for, but I'm so proud I had to share. I've been trying for years to get an Angel's Trumpet (Brugmansia) to grow in my garden. I'm on number three, and none of them have done well. But this morning, I woke up to this:

I guess persistence does pay off.

2 comments:

sophanne said...

Hooray for the trumpets. I love that kid's smile!

I'm only a novice-intermediate knitter. just enough knowledge to be dangerous. But if I had a sleeve that looked like that, I'd call it a good day. I've seen worse. Will it get "less square with wear?"

Quail Hill Knits said...

I see your point with the squared off sleeve. Have you tried the half of the sweater on? As I an sure you know, sometimes the project look completely different when worn.
I love the blanket and you boy looks so proud! What a sweet smile.
Congratulations on getting your trumpets to bloom. Mine curled up and died .....again.