Friday, March 16, 2007

Tell me honestly


Tell me honestly...is this unreasonable?

This is (most of) the stash. It is all contained in one small closet, on two ordinary-sized bookcases. The sock yarn fills that one top shelf to the left. The bottom shelf to the right is project purgatory, for those projects that just aren't heading in the right direction and need some time to think about what they've done. That leaves only...four shelves of "real" yarn--you know, the kind you buy in bulk to make sweaters that somehow don't get started, or the kind you buy because it's on sale and it's got to work for something, or the kind that you buy because you're just in love, and you know the perfect project will come along? Four smallish shelves--that's it. That's not unreasonable, right?

Then can somebody please explain that to my husband, my kids, my brother, my mom, and my next-door neighbor?

My husband's reaction (when he inadvertently discovered the stash, hidden away in the guest room closet, which he had not opened even once in eight years in this house): "Holy *#&@! How much did all that cost?!"

My kids' reaction: "OH! Wow, look at all that yarn! You're gonna die before you can knit all that!" (They are young. I'm sure I look close to death to them.)

My brother's reaction (after spending four months living in that guest room): "Hey, did you know that closet is entirely lined in YARN?!"

My mom's reaction: [Head shaking and pressed lips. Like maybe I need a serious talking to, but she's keeping her mouth shut, because I'm an adult and if I want to squander my children's college fund on yarn...well, so be it.]

My neighbor's reaction: "And you think I'm unstable?! I think it's time we had a little talk."

I just don't get it. I mean, would you ask Michaelangelo why he needs so damn many paints?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi-
I just found your blog and no, not unreasonable in the slightest!!! I aspire to such a stash. I am familiar with many knitters who have umpteen(12-45)rubbermaid bins full of yarn. So really, you almost need more!!!

Life's a Stitch said...

It is absolutely reasonable. Think of all the trouble it keeps you out of. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)
Li

Alison said...

Looks reasonable to me... really... my stash is spread through three areas, I'm going for the optical illusion effect... somehow, it doesn't actually seem smaller... that's okay, I love yarn!
Happy knitting,
ali
www.skeinsherway.com

Elinor said...

Ha! I just discovered your blog. That is too funny. Non-knitters never understand. I just started a yarn diet but a few years ago, I lost many stash pounds after I had to actually sit on the covers of my plastic stash storage containers to shut them. I like to think of that as my darkest day as a knitter!!!

MelissaKnits said...

That is a mere drop in the bucket of stash. Truly.