Thursday, May 24, 2012

So Wrong

My sister had a stroke yesterday.  She was home with her 11-year-old son when she collapsed on the floor and started making strange noises.  He couldn't get her to talk to him, so he called her partner (his other mom) at work.  My sister has been having stomach pains lately, so her partner figured that's what it was.  When she got home three hours later, my sister was staring blankly into space, unable to speak, and not responding. 

They got her to the ER and found a brain hemorrhage.  Then they did a full-body scan. 

She has tumors in her brain, lungs, liver, kidneys, and pancreas.  The doctors believe one of the brain tumors caused the stroke, which they say is "the worst kind of stroke"--whatever that means.  She is paralyzed on her right side, unable to speak, and generally unresponsive.  Although they haven't officially said it's cancer, the doctors are saying they don't believe they can do anything to treat her, and they "don't have a time frame" for how long she will survive.

She's 48.  She's never even been sick.  When I saw her two months ago, she was fine, although she had lost some weight and looked a little tired.  I can't believe this is happening. 

My mom and I are flying out to see her.  It may be the last time, and I don't even know if she'll know we're there.  I have no idea what to do for my mom, or for my nephew, or for my sister-in-law.  I may be gone for a while.  I'll check in when I get back.

24 comments:

Angel said...

So touch by what is happening to your sister. Definitely wrong!!
Keeping her and your family in my prayers.

Susie said...

So sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Susan said...

Such sad news, and the enormity of her illness and its implications must be so hard to deal with. Will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

So sorry to read this. Sending lots of good thoughts your family's way!

Tamara said...

I am so sorry! Indeed, so very wrong.

theresa said...

Sending prayers your way. Give the little guy a hug.

Tammy said...

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry, and will definitely keep you all in my prayers.

Lol said...

So sorry to hear this, it's hard anytime but at such a young age with children to consider also. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. X

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm praying for you and your family.
Betty

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to read this. This is so horrible for so many. Please take care of you as the story unfolds and know that many people are sending prayers, good thoughts, positive energy, good karma....etc...to you and your family.
PrairieFlower

Kathy said...

I am so sorry!! What a terrible shock for your whole family. I will keep you all in my thoughts.

Tracy Purtscher said...

Please take care of yourself as well. Many hugs and thoughts of strength are being sent your way.

Dr Christine Crawley said...

You must be in shock, my thoughts are with you and your family. x

Linda said...

So sorry about your sister. Will keep her and your family in my prayers daily. God bless and give you all comfort and peace.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your family. May you all have the strength to get through this difficult time.

Unknown said...

Oh oh oh My thoughts are with you and your family. Don't worry about what you'll do for your mother, you sister and your sister's partner. you are there, with them and for them and together you are stronger.

Caroline aka FiberTribe said...

I'm so sorry. Sending all loving thoughts to you and your family.

Suzanne said...

I'm so sorry. Thinking of you and your family.

quiltyknitwit said...

Thinking of all of you during this difficult time.

toni in florida said...

My heart goes out to you, sweetie.

Kelli said...

I am so sorry for this tragedy. I am sending you and your sister's family light and love. ~ksp

Steph B said...

I'm so sorry. Praying for all of you.

sophanne said...

Keeping you in my thoughts.