Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Epiphany

I now know why people weave.

I wove this yesterday:

This is a 9" wide scarf, 8 feet long. And it took me--a brand new weaver--one day.

That includes the warping, the weaving, and the braiding of the fringe.

I used an ugly yarn I was never going to knit, but I think I like how it looks woven. Close up, you can see all the different colors, but from a bit of a distance, it just looks like tweed.

I haven't "wet finished" it yet, mostly because I'm not sure exactly how. From what I understand, wet finishing is the weaving equivalent of wet blocking, except it's more vigorous. The goal is to "full" the fabric to get the fibers to lock together and blend into a unified fabric--so essentially a mild felting. It seems the usual way to do this is to throw it in the washing machine, but I think I'll try it by hand first. After all, it may not be beautiful, but it is my first project, and I'd rather not ruin it right off the bat.

I would totally warp for a new project right now, but my entire stash is currently bagged up and sealed in boxes, so it will have to wait until my house gets put back together. Or until I lose patience and rip into the boxes. Any guesses which will come first?

9 comments:

thepaintedsheep said...

Its beautiful! I learned to weave recently - so much fun and so fast!

My weaving instructor recommended the washing machine for finishing the fabric - he used a full cycle, warm water, I think on gentle. Haven't tried it myself yet - I'm a little nervous about shrinking something!

old lady said...

Kudo's on a lovely finish! Now you can tell everyone "there is NO such thing as an ugly yarn!" Your speedy and lovely first finish makes me want to try weaving. But I don't have an experience weaver to give me pointers. Guess I will have to live vicariously through your FO's! Let's see the next one - open those bags.

Tracy Purtscher said...

Or you could just go shopping. ;) Seriously though just one day start to finish?!? Oh my. Dang it Woman you are an evil temptress. I have a loom. sigh

Janette said...

Wow - that's fabulous!

Fibra Artysta said...

Oh its gorgeous! You know, you are not helping my weak resistance to not trying out weaving...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sorry about the deleted comment, but I when I re-read it I saw too many typos!

I love that scarf. Good for you for figuring it all out. In answer to your question on my blog about how my 12 year old is in the high school band, I would love to tell you that she is super gifted and skipped a few grades ;-) However, the reality is that we live in a rural area and the middle/high school is combined in one building. The marching band doesn't have enough high school kids so the band director lets the middle school kids march too. She's in 7th grade and loves it!

Unknown said...

Uh oh, know you have the Weaving Goddess to contend with. The scarf looks great!

kmkat said...

Weaving is tempting; who can argue with nearly instant gratification?

I say you need to buy some yarn.