Thursday, August 26, 2010

FO: Lillian

This is another of my blog-neglected FOs. I test knitted this for Lucy Sweetland of a black pepper last fall. It was one of the more challenging knits I've done, and if I hadn't been on a deadline, I'd never have finished it in less than a month!

Pattern: Lillian, by Lucy Sweetland.

Size: 34" for my 35" bust.

Yarn: Elsebeth Lavold Classic Al. I really love this yarn. It's a 50/50 wool and alpaca blend that is soft and springy and holds its shape really well without pilling. Two of my most often-worn sweaters are made of this yarn, and they both look great after much wear. Not itchy, either, and I'm pretty sensitive.

Needles: KnitPicks Options circulars in sizes 5 and 7.

Despite the complexity, it was a fun knit. I love knitting cables, and these ones were relatively easy because the cable repeats all coincide with each other, unlike some complex patterns, where the repeats all fall on different rows (Death By Cables, I'm looking at you!).

This is a great winter sweater. I wore it all last winter with all sorts of different outfits. I particularly like the sleeve detail.

The only things I don't like about this sweater are the i-cord cast on (never, never again), and the saddle shoulder, which makes for an oddly square-ish shape. This is probably due as much to my finishing as to the nature of the saddle shoulder, but whatever the reason, I won't be repeating this design feature in the future.

13 comments:

Strickmuse said...

This is so beautiful. I love the cables and the shape is perfect. I made a note of the yarn, I have to try it out too. The color is lovely and looks great on you. I can imagine that this is one of your favorite sweaters.

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Look great on you!

sheep#100 said...

A month?!

:: faints ::

Kristen Rettig said...

Wow, it's a beauty, but all those cables in one month? Astonishing! The fit and neckline are great. I have never done a i-cord cast on, thanks for the warning!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Crap - there's another sweater Im going to have to put in my queue!

Sylvie said...

that's so pretty! love the cables

looks really good on you

5elementknitr said...

Gorgeous!

weezalana said...

That is gorgeous! I love all the cables!

Romi said...

Wow. Gorgeous!!!

Life's a Stitch said...

It looks like a perfect fit.

Sharon said...

Such a pretty cable pattern! You wear it well.

a friend to knit with said...

ohhhh so pretty!
and in less than a month!!

i have done the icord cast on before... not my thing, either.

it looks really fantastic on you!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sweater, and it looks great on you!