Friday, April 9, 2010

Knitting Sunshine

Several months ago, I bought some lovely hand dyed British Mohair Kidd Silk from an online clearance sale, intending to use it for a warm, fuzzy shawl. A few days ago, I came across it while cataloging the stash and was seized with the urge to cast it on.

So I did.

This is Multnomah, a free, simple shawl pattern. It's mostly garter stitch, with a feather and fan border. Super simple pattern, and perfect for a beautiful yarn that just begs to take center stage--perfect for this yarn. Knitting with it is exactly the way I imagine knitting sunshine would feel. It's incredibly soft and has a gorgeous sheen from the silk content, and the color is an absolutely perfect golden yellow. [I don't wear yellow. Ever. I don't own a single item of yellow clothing. But I loved this color on sight and I love it more now. I will wear it, even if the brilliant yellow next to my red hair blinds everyone who looks in my general direction.]

The pattern is written for a single skein of sock yarn and makes a pretty small shawl. This yarn is a dk weight (I'd actually call it light worsted) and I have two 100 gram skeins of it, so I'm working it on larger needles and expect to get a medium sized shawl out of it. The combination of warm, fuzzy yarn and lots of garter stitch means this will be a very warm shawl, which is great, since I'm always cold. I anticipate wearing it over a little black dress for going out in the evening. (Yes, I do own several little black dresses and wear them out regularly. I'm always looking for things to put over them to keep from freezing. I'm hoping to avoid a repeat of my friend's wedding, when I had to borrow my mom's polar fleece jacket to wear at dinner in the refrigerated dining room. Not that it wasn't a lovely jacket, but it didn't go so well with my floor length formal gown.)

This is knitting up quite quickly, helped along by the fact that the feel of this yarn slipping through my fingers is a pleasure akin to eating dark chocolate while sipping red wine in a hot bath.

Hmmm. Where did I hide those Godivas?

12 comments:

sophanne said...

dark chocolate- red wine-etc. Now that's some good yarn!

Mo said...

The lovely warm yellow shawl looks like it will be very cozy when the chill a/c winds begin to blow.

On a separate note, do you have any pics of Heidi with her new furry or feathered family? How is she doing?

I love reading your blog and keeping up with your family and many interests!

Anonymous said...

Dark chocolate, red wine... such a good metaphor (or was it a simile? I can't tell).

Jean Baardsen said...

The color is beautiful! Yarn really can be very sensuous!

Sharon said...

This afternoon at knitting group, my friend was knitting a Multnomah shawl. And I have one on the needles too - love the pattern, and also the color of your yarn! Your shawl will be like a warm cuddle every time you wear it.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Dark chocolate, red wine, yellow yarn...life is good!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the idea, I have some lovely sock yarn I wanted to use for a shawl and just hadn't found the right pattern!

Renee said...

pretty!

Lol said...

OOOh, could just eat that with a spoon. Wonderful colour and texture.

The word verification for ths comment is bonifull - an apt description!

Steph B said...

That is a lovely, sunny color! And I think it will actually look very nice on you....it's golden enough to bring out the highlights in your hair. Purty!!

Fibra Artysta said...

What a pretty shawl. The timing is perfect because I'm looking for fairly brainless knitting for my trip later this week. I think I'll give this one a shot.

I agree, it seems really dainty with fingering weight yarn. I've got some Lorna Laces yarn in a worsted weight that I think I'll do this in so it comes out larger.

Thanks again for pointing out another fun pattern. :)

sheep#100 said...

Mmmm, Godiva! And sale yarn? Ka-ching!